Teflon® wire, is made from PTFE, or Polytetrafluroethyline. PTFE is a synthetic polymer which was invented at DuPont™ by a man named Dr. Roy Plunkett. Plunkett found that Teflon was one of the most slippery substances known to man, was non-corrosive, was chemically stable, resistant to fungus, fluids, moisture, humidity, solvents, oils, acids & alkalis, and had an extremely high melting point. In addition, PTFE has a very high dielectric strength. All of these properties make Teflon® a great choice for commercial wiring.
PTFE wire and cable has a temperature rating of -65C all the way up to 200C when using silver plated copper conductors such as MIL-W-16878/4, MIL-W-16878/5, MIL-W-16878/6 amongst other specifications which can be found on www.weicowire.com. Looking for even higher temperature ratings? Utilizing nickel plated copper conductors allows for temperature ratings in excess of 200C.
Some of the best applications for PTFE wire include:
- Oil & Gas
- Commercial use
- General Electrical
For military applications, PTFE wire and cable is also a great choice. There are several types of PTFE wire that have been tested for, and have passed the military’s strictest standards, these include.
- MIL-W-16878/5 – Rated for 200C & 1000V (M16878/5)
- MIL-W-16878/6 – Rated for 200C & 250FT (M16878/6)
- MIL-W-16878/22 – Rated for 200C & 1000V (M16878/22)
- MIL-W-16878/34 – Rated for 200C & 1000V (M16878/34)
- MIL-W-22759/9 – Printed with military identification & rated for 200C & 1000V (M22759/9)
- MIL-W-22759/11 – Printed with military identification & rated for 200C & 600V (M22759/11)
Amongst military approved wire there are also several types of PTFE wire that are also UL approved, including:
- UL 1213 – Dual Rated for UL & Military
- UL 1371 – Dual Rated for UL & Military
- UL 1180 – UL & CSA Imprinted rated for 200C & 300V
- UL 1199 – UL & CSA Imprinted rated for 200C & 600V
Military Approved PTFE Cables:
- MIL-C-27500 Aerospace Cables – Rated for 200C & 600V & 1000V
- MIL-W-16878 Mil Spec Cables – Rated for 200C & 600V
Do you need custom PTFE Cables for your installations?
Weico Wire can manufacture any type of PTFE cable construction, including even the smallest O.D.’s by using Type ET inners or sizes as fine as 32awg.
Our cables can be manufactured with or without shields and can utilize any number of conductors, color codes, or jacket colors. For custom wire we maintain 250FT minimums and we can ship within 1-2 weeks.
*Teflon® is a registered trademark of E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company